5 Things I’m Looking Forward To at MLA’11
In case you missed it, I’m attending the Medical Library Association conference in Minneapolis this week. I’ve been chosen as an official conference blogger and will be blogged a couple of times a day on my experiences as a new member and first time conference attendee. I know most of you won’t be following me on the official conference blog, so I will be reposting my posts here.
I’m very excited to be attending my first MLA conference and sharing my experiences with you. I graduated from library school in December 2009 and became a medical librarian in May 2010, so not only am I new to medical libraries and MLA, I’m also new to the profession in general. By way of introduction, I thought I would share what I’m looking forward to most here at MLA’11.
Top 5 Things I’m Looking Forward to Most:
1. My CE course on systematic reviews. I consider myself a fairly decent searcher and I’ve been known to generate some excellent results on almost no information. However, I’m at sea when it comes to major reviews. I’ve read a few articles but I have no idea where to begin a systematic review. I have a physician who is in the beginning stages of research on a new project and I know he is going to require a comprehensive review of the literature. I’ve done what I can but I recognize my limits and when I need more knowledge on the subject. Hopefully this course will help me better serve this physician and prepare me for other reviews I may do in the future.
2. New Member Breakfast. I only joined the medical librarian force a year ago when I became an accidental medical librarian. I don’t know very many people in the field so I’m really excited about meeting other new medical librarians and hopefully learning more about MLA overall, despite the fact that this Sunday event starts at 7:30. In the morning. I hope there is enough caffeine.
3. Rethinking the Librarian’s Role in EHRs, PHRs, and EMRs: A Place at the Table. This 5th annual lecture series sponsored by STAT!Ref (Sunday at 4:30) is of special interest to me because my hospital just purchased an EHR system and I would love to get involved. Except I have no clue how such things work or what I can do to help. I’m hoping to get some interesting tidbits and advice from librarians who been in my shoes.
4. The Janet Doe Lecture. I’m very excited about the Janet Doe lecture (Monday at 9:00) because the speaker is T.Scott Plutchak who happens to be the director of UAB’s Lister Hill Library, my resource library. The title of his lecture, “Breaking the Barriers of Time and Space: The Dawning of the Great Age of Librarians” is very intriguing to me as I love anything that has to do with reaffirming the awesomeness of my chosen profession.
5. Shopping at the Mall of America and generally exploring Minneapolis. I’ve never been to Minneapolis and I love any chance to explore a new city. For years I’ve been wondering what all the hoopla about the Mall of America so I’m making a special trip out there to see if for myself. After reading all the great blog posts about places to eat around town, I’m dying to try out some of the restaurants. Anyone want to go exploring with me?
What are you most looking forward to at MLA’11?
Since most of you aren’t at MLA, what do you look forward most to at conferences? If you’ve never been to a conference, what would you like to do/see/learn?