Ever since I moved into my house, cleaning up and organizing my office has been on my to-do list. I didn’t do a good job packing up my files (read: I just dumped them in a box) and I had been using my office as sort of a catch-all for stuff I either didn’t have a place for or stuff I didn’t feel like putting away.
I kept making organizing my office a goal, but every month I failed. I even let visitors see my super messy office. Finally, I couldn’t take it anymore. I walked in, saw bills, invitations, books, and random pieces of paper everywhere, threw up my hands, and went to grab the trash can.
It took me two solid evenings to make any real progress, but I can now announce that, while it isn’t perfect, it is at least livable and usable.
What I got accomplished:
- Unpacked the final boxes and put things where they belonged.
- Emptied the desk (top and drawers), threw out what needed to go, and put everything back in its proper and easily accessible place.
- Cleared everything off the futon and vacuumed up the cat hair.
- Went through every piece of paper (in bags, in boxes, in the purple basket, all over the place) and sorted it all into the proper files in my new black file box (it’s now next to my desk). This took the longest. It’s amazing how much paperwork I have even though I do almost everything online.
- Installed my printer cartridge and relocated my computer from the kitchen to the office.
- Decorated my bulletin board.
- Moved some pictures around and rearranged some things on the bookshelf.
What still needs to be done:
- Declutter and organize the closet.
- Hang up the small picture board (next to the bookcase) and figure out what to put on it.
- Buy baskets or something to better organize my craft and scrapbooking supplies.
- Decide if the bookcase needs better arranging or if it’s just going to stay cluttered.
- Sort through and find a way to dispose of all my old electronics.
- Buy a paper shredder.
There’s still a lot to be done to make my office look better. The important thing is that it’s very functional now and I can easily get to everything I need, which was my biggest problem before. Now it’s just some little cosmetic things (and the closet) that I need to tackle. Hopefully that won’t take me 8 months. 🙂